Monday, October 20, 2008

My life changing experience due to globalization

In 2003 while earning my first degree I studied abroad at Stockholm University School of Business in Stockholm, Sweden. In the context of globalization or any other this was one of the most profound experiences of my life. It provided me a new outlook on America. It provided my an new outlook on being a black man. In the social democracy of Sweden I learned a radical new way of looking at social responsibilty and adopted a philosophy of social existentialism. As a journalist and business major I gained an understanding of the tax system and a mindset where people did not resent their taxes being used to support the less fortunate. I was there at when the people of Sweden voted overwhemingly not to adopt the Euro. During that period I had the opportunity to travel extensively across Europe (by rail) and found that most people even in countries with the Euro did not agree with Europe's movement away from social responsibility in an effort to compete with the United States.

I would have never received such an opportunity if not for globalization in tertiary education that facillitated me to earn credits in a foreign institution that would count toward graduation from Baruch, CUNY.

1 comment:

Professor Roger said...

Thanks for sharing your experiences here. I can see how Sweden would have been an interesting experience for somebody with your background and life experiences.